Price: $13.99 (1 oz)
Overall Grade: C-
After seeing many positive (and some very negative reviews), I was pulled in to trying Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup as it seemed like something that could really work for me. It was affordable, provided a dewy finish (which I love), and was deemed as a cheaper version of NARS Sheer Glow (which I like but none of the shades match me right.)
The Packaging: I did not like the packaging at all. The foundation comes in a glass bottle (not good for traveling or clumsy people like me) and contains no pump. If you're pouring the liquid onto your brush or sponge, it can be really messy as you can easily pour too much.
Directions & Ingredients
Ingredients cont..The Product: Foundation is a very "personal" beauty item. What may not work for me may be a HG product for you and vice versa. Here are a few things that you might want to take into consideration before you 100% go ahead and say "no" to this foundation like I have because it just may work for you! But for me, here are my personal skin "issues":
- I have very dry skin and on top of that, I have eczema which means I am super dry all year round. My usual "problem areas" are my forehead, around my eyes, my upper lip, along my cheekbones, and my lips.
- My forehead is a lot darker than the rest of my face -about 2 or 3 shades darker. I've always had this problem since I was a kid. My forehead just tans a lot more easily than my face. Other than that, the rest of my face is pretty even.
- I have light "veins" along my cheeks going towards my lips. They're not that noticeable unless you look closely.
The foundation gave medium coverage but I think I may need something with heavier coverage for my "forehead problem." Also, the foundation looked cakey in areas where I was especially dry and enhanced my dry patches and sunk into my forehead lines (I'm really dry there.) Really , the only positive note was that it contains SPF 20.
I'm actually just going to put put the rest into bullets in "pros" and "cons" list because there's too much to write (if I were to go with complete sentences.)
- Didn't make me break out
- Doesn't feel drying on my already dry skin
- Blends nicely
- Gives a dewy finish
- Smell wears off quickly
- Feels light on the skin
- Covers my veins and the uneveness on my face well
- Contains SPF 20
- Does not cover the unevenness on my forehead -makes my it look dull and gray due to the color being to light for my forehead (even though it works for my face)
- Will enhance any dryness you may have. My forehead is very dry and it sank into ever line and dry patch on my forehead
- Looks dry and slightly cakey on dry skin
- May be too oily for people with very oily skin (feels nice for people with dry skin though)
- Because of the SPF, it looks lighter in flash photos making your face look whiter than the rest of your body
- Packaging (glass jar and no pump)
- Not a huge variety of colors to choose from
- Has pretty even skin
- Wants medium coverage
- Likes a dewy finish
- Does NOT have very dry skin
BEWARE: Scary Looking Photos Below!! The arrows represent all the areas where the foundation made my skin look extra dry.
It looked so awkward on my forehead!! Especially where my hairline is because it's so much lighter than my actual forehead "color." Also, my face looks lighter than my neck because the SPF makes the foundation appear much lighter in flash photos.
The Color: Fresh Beige was a pretty good match for my face (excluding my forehead) and blended in nicely. I do wish that they had more options though because the color selection is sort of small.
Above (no flash) from left: Fresh Beige, Natural Tan
Overall: Again, this didn't work for me but it MAY work for you. Be sure to read about my particular skin issues and if you're the opposite of me, this could work really well for you. I was a little generous and gave the "product grade" a C- even though it's more like a D+ for me. The grade is based on my own experience with the foundation but will vary depending on what skin type you have. For instance, I saw Ariel review this and it looks and works great for her but for me, not so much. I would still recommend trying it because of this reason but for me, it was an absolute no no.
Where To Buy: Drugstore.com, CVS, Target, Walmart