Bloomies yesterday while shopping in the city and nearly fainted when I saw the Venomous Villains display up at the MAC counter. I've been in a tug-a-war with the collection since the news first broke out the MAC and Disney were collaborating. I was excited, then it disappeared, then excited again, then not, and so on. So just when I started being un-excited (for the last few weeks), my excitement grew again! I think just seeing Disney + MAC in together IN person made my day.
So I went along swatching everything (no pictures, sorry -I figured there were already so many of them online.) After swatching, what I had originally wanted totally changed. Toxic Tale Lipstick, Her Own Devices Beauty Powder, and Bite Of An Apple Blush, which were the main things I was interested in, have all totally been scrapped from my list. The only 2 things I really want are Innocence, Beware! Lipstick and Briar Rose Beauty Powder.
So why the change? Toxic Tale is gorgeous but I can't justify buying something I'll rarely use, even for "collecting" purposes, anymore -money doesn't fall from the sky. Her Own Devices looked neat but in person, it barely showed up on my skin. All the Beauty Powders weren't "pigmented in one swipe" -I had to swatch several layers for the color to show up (and the testers were new btw) -this was also the case with Bite Of An Apple Blush (but don't get me wrong, it's pigmented.) I really loved Her Alter Image Eyeshadow but decided it wasn't for my skin tone. I actually really liked Vainglorious too but I wouldn't want to pay $14.50 (is that the price?) for a color similar to something I already have -plus I hate buying single eyeshadows.
Now for the things I want.. I didn't want Innocence, Beware! at first because I heard it was drying BUT I've fallen in love with the color and no longer care (looked like a pale, pinky nude.) Briar Rose Beauty Powder (to me) is the most pigmented of all the Beauty Powders and I really couldn't walk away without one. I'm a little scared it won't work for me though since it has a lot of violet in it.
Overall thoughts? I honestly think the collection could've been much better but I still believe that the collection will be very exciting for anyone who loves MAC or Disney. To me, the quality of the products could've been better. I had to swatch every Beauty Powder and blush about 4-5 times to get good color payoff. I already have this love/hate relationship with MAC's glosses (too sticky) and lipsticks (too drying.) The eyeshadows were mainly good though -pigmented (forgot to try the Mineralize Eyeshadows from Maleficent's Collection.) The Magically Cool Powders didn't seem that pigmented either. Overall, I'd just like better quality from MAC but I guess that's what you get when you're going high-end at a lower price (compared to brands like Chanel, YSL, Dior, etc.)
I'm still not loving the packaging (although I think Evil Queen's is the best) and really, if I had helped "design" the collection (I wish!), I would've done so many things differently. I would've included Ursula in the collection (Hello?? She wears more makeup than all the villains..), I would've transferred the mirror from Dr. Facilier's Collection to Evil Queen's Collection (Hello?? Did they forget "Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?!), and I would've done some different color choices. But really, oh well. The collection is overall good but not as magnificent as I had anticipated a few months back.
Read on for collection information and photos. I did not include prices because I'm really not sure what the prices will be. I posted before that the prices would be (for example) $15 a lipstick, $15.50 an eyeshadow, $19.50 a blush, etc. (and it's the same prices as listed on Temptalia) but MAC just raised the lipstick and lipglass prices to $14.50 -I don't think they'd raise prices again within just a month or so but who knows. I'll update when the collection comes out online.
For thorough reviews and swatches of every product, click here. Launch date is September 30th.
Cruella De Vil
1. Heartless (LE)- Cherry Red (Amplified Creme)
2. Innocence, Beware! (LE)- Light yellow pink (Cremesheen)
1. Devilishly Stylish (LE)- Deep fuchsia with pink pearl
2. Wicked Ways (LE)- Light nude with gold pearl
1. Carbon (Permanent)- Intense black (Matte)
2. De-Vil (LE)- Rich copper (Veluxe Pearl)
3. Sweet Joy (LE, Repromote from Passions of Red)- Creamy pale gold (Frost)
Rapidblack (Permanent)- True black
Darkly My Dear (LE)- Mid-tone brown plum (Matte)
Her Own Devices (LE)- Cool nude
1. Sinister (LE)- Soft brown plum (Lustre)
2. Toxic Tale (LE)- Bright coral (Satin)
1. Hot House Deep (LE, Repromote from Strange Hybrid)- Raspberry with pink pearl
2. Strange Potion (LE)- Soft coral pink
1. Her Alter Image (LE)- Light violet (Veluxe Pearl)
2. Vainglorious (LE)- Bronze burgundy (Frost)
3. Vile Violet (LE)- Deep blue purple (Matte)
Penultimate Brow Universal
Bite of an Apple (LE)- Soft coral pink (Matte)
Oh So Fair (LE)- Mid-tone pink with gold pearl
1. Dark Deed (LE)- Burgundy plum (Amplified Creme)
2. Violetta (PRO)- Violet purple (Amplified Creme)
1. Revenge is Sweet (LE)- Light yellow purple
2. Wrong Spell (LE)- Deep plum with pink purple
1. My Dark Magic (LE)- Deep pink with pink pearl/ Deep plum with purple pearl
2. She Who Dares (LE)- Deep navy with blue pearl/ Deep forest green with lime pearl
Briar Rose (LE)- Soft violet pink with pearl
1. Bad Fairy (LE)- Red with multi-changing pigments
2. Formidable! (LE)- Teal green with pink pigment
3. Mean & Green (LE)- Purple with teal pigment
Resort Life (LE, Repromote from Sundressing)- Off-white with pink pearl
1. French Quarter (LE)- Black green with multi-colour pearl
2. Slick Black (LE, Repromote)- True Carbon black
1. Brash & Bold (LE, Repromote from Makeup Art Cosmetics)- Bright magenta
2. Melon (Permanent)- Bright golden peach
3. Push the Edge (LE, Repromote from Makeup Art Cosmetics)- Deep bright purple with pearl
Magically Cool Liquid Powder
1. Cajun (LE)- Sheer bronze reflects gold
2. Truth & Light (LE)- Sheer shimmer reflects silver and pink
I'm So Vain (LE)- Round special decoration compact mirror