posts and article's over at Muse's blog and I love that. She recently did a post on the really disturbing things that may be hiding in our beauty products as we speak. In this article, I found some really crazy ingredients that our every day beauty products may contain:
1. Human Placenta- wrinkle remover
2. Urea (Urine)- mouthwash, shampoo, deodorant, moisturizer
3. Ambergris (Waste from the digestive system of sperm whales)- perfume
4. Fish Scales- nail polish, lipstick
5. Chicken Bone Marrow- face cream, moisturizer
6. Oleoresin Capsicum (pepper spray)- lipstick, lip gloss
7. Bull Semen- shampoo, conditioner
8. Human Foreskin- anti-wrinkle cream
9. Cochineal Beetles- coloring for dye, lipstick, etc.
10. Use Cooking Oil- face cream, moisturizer
Oh, so that's where the cooking oil goes when I wrap it up in a bag and throw it in the garbage (can't pour it down the sink because it'll clog up.) Chicken bone marrow, human foreskin, bull semen are the epitome of grossness. I knew about the fish scales and the beetles but honestly, that was something I put way wayyyy in the back of my mind and tried to forget -just like scary movie previews that I absolutely hate remembering before I go to bed.
To be honest, and I must be a horrible beauty blogger for this, I don't really read the ingredients in my beauty products. Sometimes I check if a product has silicone but that's about it -I usually buy and use products based on how they work for me and pay no attention to what's crawling inside my containers of moisturizer and tubes of lipstick. Just sometimes you assume that if the FDA approved it, it should be perfectly fine right? I wonder how the FDA could approve urine and most of the other things on this list. The ingredients sound like they could do some major harm.
What do you think? I really have to start checking the ingredients in my stuff. I think you're supposed to be suspicious whenever there's a word you can't pronounce.. like hypogactimus pelgatorigate.
Btw, I have no idea if Garnier puts bull semen in their products. Just a photo for the post!
*I got the facts above from the article I linked.
*Photos do not belong to me. Garnier shampoo bottle from drugstore.com and bull pic from (I forget.) Was a random Google Search.