First off, let me introduce you to "my skin" prior to the start of the new "routine." I have eczema which of course results in my skin being extra dry -dryer than "regular" dry skin. I don't often get acne -maybe a small pimple every 2 weeks or so. Usually once a month, probably because of my "friend's" monthly visit, I'll get 1-2 huge, painful cyst type of pimples filled with nasty pus -I know.. probably a little over share. The only thing I used to use was CeraVe Lotion, Cetaphil Cleanser, and my Essence of Beauty Makeup Remover to remover my makeup.
Earlier in June, I was contacted by the lovely Caitlin from NeoStrata. She sent me 2 projects to try -the Facial Cleanser ($28.00 for 6 oz) and the Daytime Protection Cream SPF 15 ($38.00 for 1.4 oz.) I've added both to my new routine.
Facial Cleanser IngredientsHere's the "new" routine:
1. Every morning, I start off washing my face with just plain ol' water and Cetaphil Cleanser (I ran out of the "facial" kind which seems to feel better on my face but there's no difference in the results.)
2. After that, I either apply CeraVe Lotion or Cetaphil Lotion or both (CeraVe first, Cetaphil on top.)
3. I then apply the NeoStrata Daytime Protection Cream SPF 15. If I'm going to be in the sun for more than an hour, I'll alternate between Clarins UV Plus Day Screen High Protection SPF 40, Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer SPF 45 Untinted, and Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 70.
4. Apply Jack Black Intense Therapy Balm.
5. When the day's over, I use my Essence of Beauty Makeup Remover to wipe away all of my makeup.
6. I then wash my face again with the NeoStrata Facial Cleanser.
7. Then, I moisturize my face with CeraVe Lotion or Cetaphil Lotion or both and apply Jack Black Intense Therapy Balm again.
So has my skin improved??
YES!! After following this routine for a month and a half, I haven't gotten any cysts or pimples with pus in them. I also haven't gotten as many tiny pimples -only 1 so far and it's more like a bump on my forehead that just hasn't gone away (I've just had that same "pimple" since forever and it never seems to fully go away.) Other than that, everything's been pretty great!
So, have the NeoStrata products been effective?
1. NeoStrata Daytime Protection Cream SPF 15- I love this stuff. I'm used to most sunscreen products being thick, heavy, greasy, and smelly and this is the total opposite. It's light and feels like my regular lotion -I don't even feel like I'm wearing sunscreen. Products that contain SPF usually dry out my skin and I'm to report that this actually feels moisturizing. I also love that there is no smelly sunscreen scent or any scent at all for that matter -I hate scented skincare products. Oh and another plus? This doesn't make my face look white in pictures! Most products containing SPF will do that to you. The only downside is that it only contains SPF 15 -I'd like it be higher.
2. NeoStrata Facial Cleanser- I've been using this religiously every night so I have this to thank for my nearly pimple-less last month and a half. After cleaning my face with this, my skin is very soft, smooth, and supple. I've also noticed that my skin is a little brighter and not as red as before. I love that this cleanser is so gentle and cleans my sensitive skin without irritating it (no scent either.) I find absolutely no flaw in the cleanser and am in love with it.
Nearly clear skin! This is me with no foundation or tinted moisturizer -just my lotion and the NeoStrata Cream on top. I have that pesky pimple on my forehead though. The reason my forehead looks so dry is because the night before (taking this pic), I applied some acne medicine on top. The medicine really dries out my skin.
Overall, I'm very happy with my experience of the 2 NeoStrata products I tried. The Daytime Protection Cream SPF 15 is a wonderful product -but I'm not sure if I'd shell out $38.00 for such a small tube that only contains 1.4 oz. I'm also looking for something with a higher SPF. The Facial Cleanser on the other hand is an absolute gem. While my Cetaphil Cleanser works OK for cleaning my face, this really gets rid of the dirt so that I get practically no acne, my skin is brighter and not as red, and my face is as soft and smooth as a baby's bottom. This will definitely be a repurchase.
Disclaimer: The 2 NeoStrata products were sent to me for consideration by the company. The review is based fully on my own opinion and thoughts of the products. I do not get paid to do reviews -my focus is bringing all readers honest, helpful reviews. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions or concerns. =)